Bilateral relations are very developed and intense. Strategic partnership between Serbia and Italy was established on 13 November 2009 in Rome, during the first Joint Session of the two governments. In 2019, the 140th anniversary of diplomatic relations and tenth anniversary of the strategic partnership between Serbia and Italy were marked. On 21. and 22. June 2021. Serbia was visited by the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Italy, Luigi Di Maio.
Economic cooperation with Italy is highly developed and diversified. Italy is the third most important foreign trade partner of Serbia and one of its largest foreign investors. Bilateral trade from January to April 2022 amounted to 1.496,6 milion euros of which Serbian exports to Italy amounted to 667,3 million euros (growth оf 18,4 %) and imports amounted to 829,3 million euros (growth of 17,0 %). In 2021. bilateral trade amounted to 4,6 bilion euros. There are about 1.252 companies with a majority share of Italian capital and 135 businessmen, with about 50,000 employees. Some of the major investors are FCA, Intesa Sanpaolo, UnipolSai S.p.A./DDOR Novi Sad, Calzedonia, Vibac,Generali Group, Valy - Golden Lady, Benetton Group, Fulgar, Pompea.
There are 176 valid bilateral agreements with Italy. The most important ones include:
- Joint Declaration on the Initiation of the Strategic Partnership between the Republic of Serbia and the Italian Republic, signed on: 13/11/2009;
- Agreement on the Cooperation in Combating Organised Crime, Drug Trade and International Terrorism between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the Italian Republic, entry into force: 06/11/2009;
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the Italian Republic on cooperation in the field of defence, entry into force: 30/12/2019;
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the Italian Republic on cooperation in the field of culture and education, entry into force: 01/05/2013;
- Agreement for Scientific and Technological Cooperation between Government of the Republic of Serbia and the Government of the Italian Republic, entry into force: 05/02/2013.
Embassy of the Republic of Serbia in Rome: http://roma.mfa.gov.rs/cir/
Italian Embassy in Belgrade: https://ambbelgrado.esteri.it/ambasciata_belgrado/sr
Department for Neighbouring and South East Europe Countries: Phone: +381 11 306 8280, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org